Several years ago some men broke into my mother’s house. They stole several things including my dead fathers car. The car had a built in Cell phone. We tried to get the police to get AT&T to track the car. AT&T and the Police refused to try, they were to busy. Several weeks later with the help of a private detective we finally found the car.
A women in Tampa calls the FBI. "I am getting harassing emails from some unknown person telling me to 'Stay away from my man'. I am not sure who she is talking about. What should I do?" Well of course, the FBI launches a major investigation that included many months of work:
- Review Tampa women's email
- Review all the header files to determine IP sources and routing
- Back track IP sources
- Determine IP sources have a common user (Across multiple locations, hotels, etc)
- Resolve that these locations related to Broadwell's travels (Because some how they know that)
- Get a subpoena, read all the email, find another email account that is full of sex notes, violate that persons civil rights.
- Dig into those other emails, find the IP addresses, travel, hotels etc - relate them back to Petraeus
Violent criminals invade a home and almost no investigation ensues. A woman receives harassing emails and its FBI most wanted. I am not sure it happened exactly this way, but combing through several news reports it seems:
- None of the FBI field agents knew Petraeus was involved until recently
- The emails never used anyone’s name
- The investigation took several months
If it were a matter of National Security, the technology exists to determine the source of the emails and all other related emails (you should worry about that) in a matter of seconds, minutes or hours. If it were just harassing emails, its unlikely any action would ensue. Jill Harris, the women targeted with harassing emails, likely suggested to the FBI agents that the harassing emails related to Petraeus, triggering the national security concern. In short order, FBI Director Mueller would know all the details. What happens next is unknown, but I have some thoughts:
- FBI did nothing: The FBI has a history of keeping secret files and using them when needed
- FBI told Holder: Director told Attorney General Holder and he sat on it
- Holder told White House: Valerie Jarrett got hold of the information and decided to use it when the time was right to leverage Petraeus
What follows is all guess work......
The tools used to data-mine all the emails are only to be used for national security. Because of how intelligence agencies collect the data, it is difficult to use data mining results to prosecute a case. With the answer known from the data mining, to create an alternate path to the facts, it is likely the FBI field agents were told to pursue the case using all the conventional resources required.
Rolling back the clock several months, coincident with this investigation, recall that Petraeus was the leading candidate for Romney's Vice President. The White House could easily have called Petraeus and said "Dave, here is what we have". He was then toast as a candidate, but fine as CIA chief.
Latter when Benghazi occurred, the facts all confused, the White House could easily have leveraged the information to keep Petraeus in line. His integrity was compromised. Petraeus joined the chorus, despite FBI terrorism center saying Benghazi was a terrorist attack.
Mueller, an FBI man and a Bush appointee is a total boy scout. All modern FBI directors are total Boy Scouts. Mueller could very well have kept the field investigation alive so he had leverage against the White House deception. When the conventional case was ready in early October, Holder probably stopped Mueller from moving forward until after the election (Don't embarrass the boss). Holder also would have stopped the briefing from going to the Senate Intelligence Committee (didn't want Republicans leaking it). Someone (FBI Agent?) then leaked the story to Rep. Cantor. Cantor could not nail down the facts quick enough to release the information before the election.
The hearings for Benghazi were scheduled. Petraeus realized he could not perpetuate the Benghazi lie. Romney loses. Petraeus resigns.
I am not sure my fiction is right, but it is an explanation of the facts. I just cannot believe the FBI would pursue this investigation unless early in the process they realized the magnitude of the issue. Once realized, the White House would most certainly have been informed instantly. How do you think they would have used the data?
Key things to look for going forward:
- Discredit Petraeus: Further details no one can confirm - “1000’s of emails”, pictures, donkey’s, toys, financial problems, etc. Anyone around the core of this story will start looking sleazy.
- CIA Was Rouge: Benghazi etc. was a rough CIA operation. Its all Petraeus’s fault. End of Story.
- More Sex: There will be further stories about sex, affection and improper communication all designed to weaken the people that know the full story. Against the media hype, it is nearly impossible for the target to communicate truth.
Ultimately this sex scandal is a side show. There is a lot more to Benghazi, but we have a few more episodes left.